2012 FZ8 Won't Start

Slowtrain

Hello and thanks for the forum. My bike won't turn over even with battery showing a full charge. Full instrument panel lights and strong sounding horn. Replaced the battery per local shop and nothing changed. Yes, I've checked the kill switch, several times, I've tried neutral starts, in gear starts, kick stand up/down. It will roll off and start fine. Now I'm on the troubleshooting hunt.....Anyone had similar issues? Kickstand switch bad? Is there a good electrical starter diagram on here for troubleshooting?

4x15mph

It will roll off and start fine? Do you mean that you can start it by popping the clutch? Are you getting spark at the plug (use a spark plug tester)? I would be suspicious of the kick stand switch personally

Slowtrain

Thanks for the reply. Yes it will roll off and start. As for the kick stand switch, it tested ok. As for spark at the plug, yes, due to it being able to roll off and run. As for now, when I engage the starter button with clutch in/out, making sure kill switch is on run.....it does nothing....no clicking, nothing....taking it to the shop tonight.

Hieggs

I've had similar problems with my 2012. The Crankshaft position sensor seems to be the culprit, but my instrument panel also shows an error code 12 when it happens.

Foxtrotzulu8

I had an intermittent fail to start issue this last week and looking for an answer caused me to find your post. The clutch switch, neutral switch, and kickstand switch all checked out ok on mine. I had fully charged battery that the engine would charge up when I could start it. The starter switch would also not always click when pushed. I spoke with several people and we couldn't figure it out. I finally took apart the starter switch at someones suggestion to check for corrosion and found a spider had made a home between the contacts. Since I cleaned it up, it starts right up.

Its a pretty easy thing to check if you are still having problems. Unscrew two phillips screws to remove the switch from the bike. Unscrew the four phillips screws on the inside and cut the zip tie holding the wires to the inside of the housing. I didn't bother trying to disassemble it further and just cleaned it up between the spring with a screwdriver and utility knife. Just don't over tighten the screws and crack the plastic when you put it back together.

Hope this helps.