2 Finger Clutching?

RyanSterling

Suspension Mod Evangelist
Yup, once you have initiated the lean you have made your gear and speed choice. How much you lean it and how much throttle you feed it however is still up to you.

Anyways, to each their own I suppose.

SpunkyTheTuna

If you're feeling insecure about shifting without the clutch you can take a halfway measure. When you're ready to shift up, just essentially fan the clutch lever and shift simultaneously. You don't need to completely disengage the clutch, just quickly pull the lever in slightly and shift. Works like a charm, even for second gear.

glockman39

I've always clutched with just three fingers. I leave my pinky and thumb wrapped around the bar. This helps with steering input, especially at lean angles.

I've never had any problems with this method on my bike.

Black Widow

Avid Rider
If done correctly, as stated previously, shifting without the clutch will not harm anything. When shifting at the proper time/load/rpm, you are essentially doing the same job the clutch performs, reducing load and matching gear speeds. Been shifting cars,trucks and dirt bikes this way all my life, i also shift clutchless on my FZ8 and always will.

DLSGAP

I'd guess about 90% of my up shifts are clutchless .... I use the clutch on downshifts for smoothness and rpm matching to avoid the rear wheel from sliding around too much goin into a corner... but you can still back it in with the clutch too. Freaks my girlfriend out when she's behind me in the car and she sees the back of the bike getting squirrely

V

Vapordan

I get that folks have their preference and it's ok as long as you understand the limitations. I do change clutchless sometimes but you need to understand the mechanical forces on a clutchless change imply more wear and tear on the moving parts - it's just physics. The arguable point is whether or not the material wear and tear on the moving parts will be noticeable over the lifetime of the clutch/transmission - that's up for grabs and that's where anecdotal arguments can come in aka I've been doing it for 60 years nothing happened. To say that it doesn't affect anything is not a statement of fact. Let's move on!