2 Finger Clutching?

fazetastic

Anyone know of a way to adjust the lever or of a lever that only requires me to pull half the distance before the clutch is fully engaged?

Now I have to pull the clutch in all the way to the grip to make sure that it's fully engaged which means i have to use all 4 fingers leaving only my thumb wrapped around the grip.

I would much rather only clutch with 2 fingers. Any ideas? Any suggestions?

C

Camo

Shorty lever?
I'm the opposite...I can't fathom the feeling only clutching with two fingers. I use a shorty brake and a standard length clutch.
If I ride a mates CBR at our local spot, I have to clutch in clutch out ALOT using his shorty ASV clutch lever using two fingers and it hurts lol.
I'm sure you can adjust your clutch, maybe not as far as it would seem you'd like but you can buy an array of after-market levers that will give you that level of adjustment.
I recently bought ride it levers, they seem pretty good at the price you pay for them.

lothodon

Super Moderator
you will need an adjustable lever for certain. i have shorty "two finger" levers but still use all four fingers on the clutch but only two on the brake.

you'll need long fingers as well since if you adjust the lever out far enough to disengage before hitting the grip it's quite a ways away from the grip.

H

Hoover

Are you talking about while riding, or stopped? I ride with only one finger on the cluch but honestly, don't use it that much. Most of my shifts, both up and down are clutchless or just a brief pull. Stopped at a light, I use all 4, but thats the only time.

Sschwar4

If you are asking that you only pull the lever have way, then turn the cable adjuster out until you get the right feel. Just remember there can be an area where the clutch maybe partially engaged with the lever full out.

Using adjustable levers for short throw is another solution.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

hutru01

Knights of Columbus
Are you talking about while riding, or stopped? I ride with only one finger on the cluch but honestly, don't use it that much. Most of my shifts, both up and down are clutchless or just a brief pull. Stopped at a light, I use all 4, but thats the only time.

What RPMs do you shift at? I have always used the clutch lever, but I am interested in trying this. What is your technique?

BIGpanda

Same way you shift with the clutch lever. RPM up to speed let off the throttle for that brief second and shift up without touching the clutch lever. I do it all the time too, I don't do it much shifting down however never got the hang of it. But shifting up is a breeze, it's the same as using the clutch just keep your hand off the lever and do everything else the same.

hutru01

Knights of Columbus
Same way you shift with the clutch lever. RPM up to speed let off the throttle for that brief second and shift up without touching the clutch lever. I do it all the time too, I don't do it much shifting down however never got the hang of it. But shifting up is a breeze, it's the same as using the clutch just keep your hand off the lever and do everything else the same.

I tried it out some today. Gears 3-6 were a breeze, but second gear wasn't budging without the clutch lever. Not sure why.

H

Hoover

What RPMs do you shift at? I have always used the clutch lever, but I am interested in trying this. What is your technique?

Going up, I peg it at 3k and above. Just back off the throttle a tadge and tap the shifter. No need to be harsh, just a quick tap with the toe and it will go in.
Coming down, a quick blip on the throttle at a nano-second before you hit the the shifter and it will go in smoothly.

Try it and see how it goes. It is it a very "stress free" way of riding.

Second is the hardest to hit as you have to go through neutral. Just let it run to about 4k and give it an asurtive push with your toe. It'll go in.

If you plan on clutchless shifting, you do need to be quick on the shifts. Slow ones don't work so well.

Last edited:

hutru01

Knights of Columbus
Going up, I peg it at 3k and above. Just back off the throttle a tadge and tap the shifter. No need to be harsh, just a quick tap with the toe and it will go in.
Coming down, a quick blip on the throttle at a nano-second before you hit the the shifter and it will go in smoothly.

I guess 2nd gear will take some practice. Thanks for the tip.

jumb5150

Second is the hardest to hit as you have to go through neutral. Just let it run to about 4k and give it an asurtive push with your toe. It'll go in.

If you plan on clutchless shifting, you do need to be quick on the shifts. Slow ones don't work so well.

Will any damage happen if I shift like this all the time?

H

Hoover

You'll wear the shift drum and pins out faster. along with the shift fork pads/gears. It's not an automatic, the clutch is there for a purpose. :)

I beg to disagree. I have been riding this way for 3 decades and have put many thousands of miles on many different bikes without a single transmission failure.
I have been driving heavy trucks for the same amount of time. 10,13,15 and 18 speeds. Rarely use the clutch in those either, even with 80000lbs, if you match your revs and shift at the optimum time, you can shift as smooth as silk.
Now I'm not saying that that it is something that perhaps a novice rider is going to get right at the first attempt, but with practice, it will come.

BIGpanda

I beg to disagree. I have been riding this way for 3 decades and have put many thousands of miles on many different bikes without a single transmission failure.
I have been driving heavy trucks for the same amount of time. 10,13,15 and 18 speeds. Rarely use the clutch in those either, even with 80000lbs, if you match your revs and shift at the optimum time, you can shift as smooth as silk.
Now I'm not saying that that it is something that perhaps a novice rider is going to get right at the first attempt, but with practice, it will come.

I agree with this, I used to shift my old ranger without using the clutch all the time.

BunGhoLeo

Sure, if you match the revs that's fine, but your still wearing things out quicker by shifting with a load on the gears, even if it is just a little. I've had some of the big transmissions apart that have been treated that way, they don't last nearly as long. Same with small transmissions. it does take longer, and if your trying to speed shift it's not worth it. Shock loads are also higher doing it that way. Next time your leaned over in a corner needing to shift, try it without the clutch...

On a side note, some transmissions can actully get stuck in a gear trying to shift without the clutch. It's there for a reason, just use it.

Last edited:

jumb5150

while we are on this subject, what is the life expectancy of our clutches through normal use? and how much is a new clutch?

RyanSterling

Suspension Mod Evangelist
Sure, if you match the revs that's fine, but your still wearing things out quicker by shifting with a load on the gears, even if it is just a little. I've had some of the big transmissions apart that have been treated that way, they don't last nearly as long. Same with small transmissions. it does take longer, and if your trying to speed shift it's not worth it. Shock loads are also higher doing it that way. Next time your leaned over in a corner needing to shift, try it without the clutch...

On a side note, some transmissions can actully get stuck in a gear trying to shift without the clutch. It's there for a reason, just use it.

The entire point of letting off the throttle is that your gears aren't loaded. Sorry but I have been shifting without the clutch on all my bikes for years now. And have never once had any sort of trouble at all. My Triumph has 25k miles on the stock clutch (every mile of it without using the clutch except at stops) with a ton more power than stock and stiff ass springs. Last time a tore it down the clutch was in great shape and it shifts as smooth as my brand new Yammy, actually a bit better I think. And I don't make a habit of shifting while leaned into a corner. Thats asking for a new paint job. But I would feel a ton more comfortable doing it clutchless, it's faster and smoother. At least for me.

:2cents:

C

Camo

Next time your leaned over in a corner needing to shift, try it without the clutch...

I'm not certain how everyone else feels about changing gear while "leaned over in a corner" but for mine, I'll be on the throttle while I'm in a corner having braked/geared down on entry and wont be likely to shift until I'm on exit and running out of RPM's in that gear....
Just say'n.
:tup:

H

Hoover

I'm not certain how everyone else feels about changing gear while "leaned over in a corner" but for mine, I'll be on the throttle while I'm in a corner having braked/geared down on entry and wont be likely to shift until I'm on exit and running out of RPM's in that gear....
Just say'n.
:tup:

That is exactly the way to do it. You should never shift during the corner.